Thursday, October 6, 2016


On the way to Turtle Rock, we passed an interesting spot that we decided to explore today. It was called Sisters Rock State Park. The park was so recently created (2005) there were no identifying signs.  It is not even listed on the Oregon State Park website.  Parking was at a turnout along highway 101 about 13 miles north of Gold Beach.

My first observation was "there is no way I was hiking to the top of that rock!"  The wide field picture below doesn't give a good sense of scale, but the Big Sister in the center I estimated to be more than 300 feet above sea level.  Our car was parked at about the same level, so today we were looking at a good hiking workout. 

The third "sister" is hidden by the hill on the left.  It is a small island sea stack.

That's Mt. Humbug to the north.  I'm pretty sure it would be worth a day of exploration and hiking as well, but that will have to be another trip.

View to the north.

We had seen a couple of people looking into the dark hole below.   As we neared it, we could hear the sound of crashing waves and realized it was a sea cave.


The tide was high enough to block the approach from the beach.  The waves crashed with a ferocity that made me nervous as I carefully climbed inside.  The fractured rock all around had me wondering just how stable the walls really were.




Sea caves were visible in the nearby rocks to the north.  Exploring them would require a boat or kayak or very low tide.


I liked the picture below so much I posted it on Facebook.

View to the south.

When we returned home to Turtle Rock RV we were treated to another nice sunset.  


No comments:

Post a Comment