Friday, September 19, 2014


It was day five of our week stay at Capitol Reef National Park.  The next ranger-led hike to Hickman Bridge was scheduled for Sunday, the day we were leaving.  With a check-out time of 11:00 that was not going to work, so we went it alone.  It was yet another beautiful day for a hike - sunny, but not too warm.  The trail was just about a mile each way and included a modest elevation gain (400 feet) making it a relatively easy hike. 



 Evidence of ancient sand dunes is easy to see in the rock face.


Admittedly, we have not seen a lot of natural bridges, but we thought this one was pretty impressive.  Hickman Bridge spanned 133 feet and was more than 125 feet above the ground at its highest point.





I believe I got these hiking boots about 26 years ago.  They had not seen very many miles, but age finally got the best of the adhesive.  I was not really surprised since the same thing had happened to the right shoe a month before.  I repaired it with a liberal amount of ShoeGoo, a silicone adhesive intended for exactly this purpose (so far, so good). 


A fellow hiker came to my rescue with emergency duck tape he kept wrapped around his hiking pole.  He said the same thing happened to a friend one time and he had hiked with duck tape ever since.  I think I will add duck tape to my backpack essentials from now on, as well.

Such a kind gesture!  I hope we can do the same for someone else one day!


It was lucky for me that these nice folks from New Jersey happened to be hiking the same trail with us.  I can't believe I never got their names - if you ever see this post, Thank-you, again!


I was back in business and ready for the hike back to the car.  The duck tape held strong.





By evening, the cloud drama settled into a colorful display with rain on the horizon in several directions.

3 comments:

  1. I know those Good Samaritans! That's Dan and Toby and Vinnie from New Jersey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, that's amazing!!! How do you know them? We meet the nicest folks on hiking trails! Thanks for the info, Joani

      Delete