Friday, December 12, 2014


Our neighbors across the street, Lowell and Hania, full time in a new 5th wheel.  They are both very active hobbyists.  Lowell showed me an array of turnings he had created - pens, bottle stoppers, seam rippers - in a huge variety of beautiful and exotic woods.  What I found to be even more amazing was that he traveled with the entire wood turning operation.  Behind his rig was a complete outdoor workshop!  


Lowell donned his Woodcraft apron and walked me through the entire process.  I had heard of pen turning before, but I never thought about how it would all work.  There are a number of steps and each has specialized tools.


Within a few minutes, I was turning wood on the lathe!  There was just something very satisfying about watching those chips fly as a rough block of wood turned into a finished project.


Don't tell Joani she's getting a custom-made Zebrawood seam ripper!

No comments:

Post a Comment