Friday, June 5, 2015


We had a busy day ahead, which was a little unusual considering we knew nothing about Greenville, OH before it became a convenient stopping point to visit Dayton, OH.  We started with the KitchenAid Experience.  It was large, considering it only carried KitchenAid appliances.  I actually found it to be pretty interesting.  There was a cooking section where they presumably demonstrated how to best use all of the kitchen gadgets.




Downstairs, there was a mini-museum with KitchenAid appliances through the years.  The gold plated, one-millionth stand mixer was on display.  At the factory tour, we learned they are now nearing their three millionth mixer.



I could not see much difference between the mixer from the 1940's and Joani's current mixer.  I guess they figure "why mess with perfection?"


Apparently, they have somewhere in the neighborhood of 74 different color options available.  White was still the biggest seller, followed by the gray (they had a fancy name that I have forgotten, but it was just gray to me).




Downtown had a very nice feel and a lot of interesting architecture that kept us busy until the factory tour.



There was enough time before the factory tour for lunch, so we tried a true mid-west treat - the loose meat sandwich.  I had no idea I would be confronted by the totally gross "gum-wall" on the way inside.  It was a good thing the sandwich was so tasty!

Maid-Rite is iconic, but for me, the attraction is the price (the sandwich is so-so).  Either way, the line was long and the phone orders were pouring in.

I couldn't believe the gum wall didn't make David turn and run (he almost did).  What a trooper.

Cameras were not allowed on the factory tour and the outside just looked like a big factory, so there were no inside pictures to commemorate our visit.



Afterward, we headed to Bear's Mill.  It was on the National Register of Historic Places and was certainly worth the visit.  It was very picture worthy and we were allowed to just explore all four floors of the working mill on our own.  It was not evident in the pictures, but the cottonwood trees had exploded and the white fluff floating on the breeze sometimes made it look like it was snowing.















We headed back to the coach to rescue Sam from his boredom and maybe take an afternoon siesta.  We were no longer acclimated to the heat and humidity and it was taking a toll on our stamina.  It was the first Friday of the month, which meant street music in downtown Greenville, OH.  We could have practically walked from the fairgrounds, but it had not cooled enough for that kind of foolishness.  We drove and had no problem with close parking - I love it when a city is so accommodating! 



The sign said "Darke Co. Model Railroad Club, Welcome," and pointed to the little door next to the Rethlake Dance Studio.  Once upstairs, I saw quite an impressive layout.  I wish I knew how many total feet of track they had.  I can only say I do not believe I have seen more in a single location.  They told me it takes 10 guys to really manage all of the trains and routes when everything is in operation (I was told that there are, unfortunately, only eight members in the club.)  There was another room in the back with the entire layout schematic on one wall with lights representing switch positions and train locations.  Clearly, these guys were having fun with their hobby.


No comments:

Post a Comment