Saturday, June 6, 2015 - National Museum US Air Force, Dayton, OH


We finally made it to Dayton to visit the National Museum of the United States Air Force.  The place was huge!  Our plan was to spend most of the day here, but we quickly found it would not allow us to adequately explore everything (yet another great site that will be on our "revisit someday" list).





I really like the nose art found on WWII planes.


I'm standing in front of a Maverick laser guided air to ground missile. It's possible I worked on the seeker in this unit during my time at Rockwell.


After visiting the Titan II ICBM missile facilities out west, I have more of an appreciation for the relative size of nuclear warheads.  The two atomic bombs dropped during WWII were drastically different, but both yielded the equivalent of roughly 20,000 pounds of TNT.  Each Titan missile warhead yielded 9,000,000 pounds of TNT - let's pray they will never be used!




"Miss Behavin' " was on the nose of a British Tornado.  I think the plane was a little clunky or maybe even ugly, but I appreciated their efforts with the artwork.


The nose-on aspect of the SR-71 is one of my favorites, but am I the only one who is reminded of a duck? 


While most aircraft, and especially jet aircraft, look pretty fast, I think the F-16 looks like the Lamborghini of the jet world.  If I had the chance to fly in anything, I think this would be my choice!




We were pretty well tuckered out, but the Boonshaft Discovery Center was on the way home, so we made a quick stop.  It was another kid-oriented museum, so we were able to breeze through most of the displays without collapsing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment