Monday, March 20, 2017, Hams and Foursies


I don't think I mentioned that our site at Sundance 1 RV Resort in Casa Grande, AZ backed up to a group of Hams. As I was setting up on our first day, I heard Morse code coming from one of the storage sheds behind us. I met the owner, Bill, and asked if he was into Amateur Radio. He said yes he was, how about me. I told him no and then I remembered I just got my Technician license, so I guess I was a Ham, too.

I then helped him build a 40-meter band antenna for his neighbor John who just got his General license. Pretty soon it was time for "foursies" (their term for "Happy Hour"). That's when I met John and another neighbor, Steve, who was also a Ham. Can you see all of the antennas behind our coach below? The three of them convinced me I should study for my General so I could operate on the high frequency, or HF, bands. John loaned me a study guide and I agreed to take the exam at the Hamfest in Tucson in a couple of weeks.



We enjoyed "foursies" with Bill and Connie and John and Steve and Sylvia most nights when we were in the park. Between the happy hours, the dog park and the pool/spa, we met a lot of really nice folks. I decided snowbirds in park models have a lot in common with campers and are just as friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment