Sunday, March 12, 2017, Move to Gold Canyon, AZ


We were both looking forward to our next stop for some time now. Joani had a coupon from Superstition Views at Canyon Vista RV Resort in Gold Canyon, AZ, (east of Phoenix).  It gave us a free week with full hookups (she saved the coupon from the Tampa Supershow more than a year ago).  The day's drive was 37.8 miles (81,745 total) - barely enough to get the engine warmed up.

This is the unit that I fell in love with.  Park your motorhome next to the house with the door opening to the back patio (Concrete pad, electric, water and sewer already there).  It faced a beautiful green space and the rooftop deck had a view of the Superstition Mountains.

We expected a high-pressure sales pitch, but it never happened. Instead, they said "spend as much time as you like in the models and enjoy the rooftop decks any time.  Oh, and free drinks in the refrigerators in every model (including beer and wine)."  What a brilliant sales model.  We didn't buy, but we have never been more tempted.

We took advantage of the rooftop decks, but early morning or evening would have been the perfect time to chill and take in the views.

 This is what they look like going in.  This crawl space remains under the home.


When they are done, they no longer look like a mobile home.

 The price was right, $99,000.00 if it ended there.  But no, that gets you the house - you don't own the land.  That is another $6,500+ a year plus taxes and utilities.  I think not owning the land is a deal breaker.  Darn! (Plus, I'm not ready to slow down yet.)

There was a small airfield close by, so I saw quite a few of these guys flying over us.  I keep thinking I should look into one of these powered parachutes and then I think it would probably be terrifying. Maybe I could just go for a short test flight that never climbs more than say, 20 feet and stays over the landing strip. That would probably be enough to break me from thinking about flying anymore.  It would also keep me from spending around $10,000 on another hobby.


One day we drove towards the Superstition Mountains and enjoyed a little closer inspection of the same rugged skyline we could see from the park. If I haven't said so before I have really grown to appreciate the beauty of the desert landscape.


No comments:

Post a Comment