Wednesday, May 3, 2017, Brin's Mesa Hike


Joani researched the best trails around Sedona and decided to start with Brins Mesa Trail. We made a loop out of the hike by returning via Soldier's Pass trail to Jordan trail to Cibola Pass trail. It was a little over five miles with more than a five hundred foot elevation gain. The sun and a warm day (90 degrees) made it a challenge. 









This sighting was a portent of things to come.


I ventured ahead and took a side trail that some fellow hikers told us about. It led out onto an overlook - what a view!

David is being kind not mentioning that I was exhausted!!!  I was not going to take an extra step that didn't get me closer to home.  Sam and I gladly rested in the shade of a tree while David explored the top of the mesa.  I snapped his picture waving to me from the top of the outcropping in the top quarter of the photo.  Can you see him?

David took some great shots of a brilliant yellow and black Scott's Oriole.

When I saw the lizard below, I froze and it froze. I slowly moved my camera up for a shot and this critter (I estimated to be more than a foot long) posed like a runway model.

This guy (or gal) was adorable.  It was the most colorful lizard I have ever seen.  It made it easier to pick it out of a list of Arizona lizards.

Eventually, it made its way across the trail and joined its baby and they both let me take a few more shots.

IGUANIDAE Crotaphytinae (subfamily) - Sonoran or Great basin - I'm not sure.




Devil's Kitchen Sinkhole on Soldiers Pass trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment