Thursday, June 15, 2017, Flying J and our anniversary


Well, today was a special day - it was moving day. We drove 125 miles (82,803.2 miles total) to Sayre, OK, and stopped at another Flying J for the night. More importantly, it was our 44th wedding anniversary and we spent it at a truck stop. Now that's special, wouldn't you say?

Joani surprised me with this one - digging up photos from the year we were married (1973) - but how can I object on our anniversary. So I'll just say everything below is her idea.

Our actual wedding pictures have yet to be digitized, but years ago David took some of our favorite slides and made a jig that allowed him to take a photo of a slide (way before Amazon sold such a thing) (way, way before Amazon existed).

This was a cabin in the Smokies that my best friend's grandparents allowed us to use.  It was a shoe-box, but we all managed to fit and, wow, such fond memories. (We are the newlyweds on the far right.)

 The cabin was bigger on the inside than on the outside!. (There we are on the far right again.)

 I love this photo!  (David is second from the left in the peacoat.) Where are the girls? We are back at the cabin playing cards and drinking way too much cherry wine. (Tennessee's legal drinking age in 1973 was 18. I had just turned 18 a few months prior.)

David is in the middle.  He wore glasses with newfangled photochromic lenses. Hey, aviators are back in style!

This was my best friend from high school, Debbie, and matron of honor at our wedding.

 Yes, this is how we chose to spend our honeymoon - camping in Cades Cove, TN, with friends.  So I guess it should be no surprise that we would spend an anniversary in a Flying J Truck Plaza!

 That's my man, 45 years ago!  Besides a brilliant mind, come on, he's a hunk!
(David is not happy about this caption!)

This is Rita, my best friend from the age of 12, when I lived in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  She traveled all the way to Hendersonville, TN, to be my bridesmaid.

Doesn't everyone play double solitaire on their honeymoon? Gotta love the candle in the beer bottle!

No comments:

Post a Comment