Tuesday, December 3, 2019, Rockhound State Park, Deming, NM


Rockhound State Park was calling to Joani so we made a return trip. We hiked along Thunderegg Trail just a short way before exploring an interesting ravine that led up the hillside. I don't think we ever found anyplace that looked like it had never been previously picked over. Maybe that was the reason we never found any Thundereggs.

The rock below was obviously too big for my pocket but it was certainly interesting. The volcanic forces producing this rock created a most wonderful swirling mix of color.



I don't remember if I found one of the larger "keepers" or if I just said "OK" to one Joani found. Joani is hoping it might be Leopard Jasper and if it is it will certainly be our most important find of the day.


It is hard to find pictures of raw stones to see what they look like before polishing. I can see the round bits in this stone and we are in a Jasper rich area. I can't wait to slice it open and see what treasures it holds.

Traipsing through the desert environment can be hazardous. Joani noticed how many cactus spines had caught on her jacket - luckily they were not caught on her skin!


Back in the coach Joani carefully cleaned her new treasures and set them on the table for a group photo. I estimated there was another 50 pounds added to her collection but she thought it was probably only 30. (You are allowed 15 pounds each, but there is no scale offered to check.)

Oops, I was nearly 100 percent wrong in guessing the weight.


Jasper is petrified or silicated mud that dripped into gas pockets in hardened lava.

No comments:

Post a Comment