Tuesday, August 27, 2013, Move to Long Beach, WA


Time to leave Forks and head down the coast to Long Beach, WA. It was only 179.3 miles (4,098.7 trip/63,579.8 total), but driving US 101 wore me out! The entire trip there might have included 5 miles of straight level road. The rest of the time, it was slow down for curves or small towns or we were going up hills or down. Many places, the two-lane road narrowed and when people backed up behind me I had to find a pull-out to let them pass. I think I'm ready for Interstate driving again.

Long Beach is really very nice. It seemed like every house had a fresh coat of paint and the downtown area was very interesting. After we were settled in, we drove to Cape Disappointment State Park, just down the road. We found there have been many shipwrecks entering the Columbia River which, I'm guessing, was the reason for the park's name. It was really too late for any hiking, so we just drove through the park and around the town before returning to the coach for dinner.  



Most of the coastline was a sandy, broad beach with very little driftwood or rocks. The park was an exception, with some rocky outcroppings. Long Beach claims to have the longest continuous beach (25 miles) in the world. I think I will take their word for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment