Thursday, March 22, 2018, Southern Museum of Flight


We finally made it to the Southern Museum of Flight in Birmingham. We tried to see it on our way to Florida a few months ago, but it was closed. It was not a large museum, but it had some very nice exhibits. Our Association of Science Technology Centers 
(ASTC) membership had expired a while back. Southern Museum of Flight was on the ASTC network and, most importantly, it had a two-year family membership for only $80. Now we will not have to think about finding another membership until the spring of 2020. 

There was quite a collection of experimental airplanes. I can see the appeal, but I'm not sure I want to trust my life to my own handiwork. Any "Oops" could result in a rapid landing often referred to as a crash. The Ross Seabird below could land on water which would be nice if you had a cabin on a secluded little island somewhere. Two seats side-by-side might even make you think you were in a little sports car.


The ultimate in experimental aircraft - the Wright flyer was represented with the full-size replica below. A 12 hp engine powered this 600-pound beauty up to 30 feet in the air at 30 mph.





I have no idea what connection this huge camera had with aviation. There was nothing to let us know why it was there. Let's hope it was an exhibit to be developed in the near future.


Say "Cheeeeese"

Joani liked the colors in the display showing a vortex in swirling liquid that demonstrated the air flow in a tornado - obviously something to avoid when flying!



One of the most intricate cut-away models of a radial engine I have ever seen. I spent ten minutes marveling at the ingenuity of the design. Looks like I was not the only one fascinated by the exhibit - there was a future engineer looking on next to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment