Thursday, December 10, 2015


A couple of days ago we visited the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, FL, but never got to finish looking over all of the displays in Hanger Bay One.  I really wanted to see what I had missed.  Joani opted out on a revisit and I did not want to go alone. John, who we met on one of the ranger programs, had not been and was interested in seeing the museum. His wife, Carol, was a bit under the weather and wanted some peace and quiet so she gave him a pass for the day.

In the main display area, I had missed this fun little number.  Maybe I should think about taking up flying in retirement.  Maybe I should seek help.


Not a lot of instrumentation in there - I guess those were the days when pilots flew by the seat of their pants.


The Hawkeye E2C had to be one of the most unlikely planes to fly off of a carrier.  Folding it up for storage below decks must have been quite a challenge.  I could not see how it could fold into place without hitting the deck.  That's John in the blue shirt checking out some of the features of this most interesting aircraft.


At work, several people referred to me as "Eeyore" which was a little troubling.  I understood it was due to my saying "NO" to so many ridiculous demands.  Flying with somebody who might be considered to be "negative" would have much more serious consequences.  I hope it was an ironic nickname.


Looking at the Harrier just made me scratch my head.  So many questions; How can it fly? Why would you want this for ground support with all of its limitations? What can it do that an Apache or Warthog can't do?  Who am I to question the military-industrial complex?


I would still love to fly in this plane (as long as nobody was shooting my way). . .


But I'm sure the N3N, below, would be more my speed!


After a couple of hours, I finally felt like I had seen the majority of what the museum had to offer and John got to see most of it as well.   I talked to one of the docents, Joe, who told me that they change things around once in a while, so I'm sure I will have to visit again the next time we are in the area.

On the way back to the campground we grabbed some freshly fried chicken at Publix which made us both heroes when we finally returned home.

No comments:

Post a Comment