Tuesday, December 29, 2015


Monkey Island was an interesting attraction situated in the middle of one of the many waterways in Homosassa Springs.  The Monkey Bar was a mostly outdoor establishment where patrons could enjoy a tasty adult beverage while watching the monkey antics from a safe distance.


Above the Monkey Bar was the Riverside Crab House.  Loren and Sharon had been before and recommended it, so we went in for a late lunch.  We were seated at a table with a view of Monkey Island giving us some live entertainment with our meal.  What luck - the special was all-you-could-eat fish and fries.  You know I had to make our waitress go back for seconds.  It was really good, but I exercised enough restraint that I didn't hurt myself.



The monkeys were quite active, probably because they knew it was nearly their feeding time (anytime between 3 and 5 in the afternoon).


The monkeys do not like the water, so they stay on the island.  I was not at all sure they would not hop into a kayak if it came close enough. A few times, paddlers, intent on their i-phones got close enough, but the monkeys never made a break for it.


Back at home, I finally found out why there was an area staked out around a hole in the sand next to our site.  It was a turtle nest!  Mama turtle had come out for a look around and let me take a few pictures. When I got too close, however, she showed me just how fast she could scoot back into the ground.


No comments:

Post a Comment