Friday, June 14, 2013, Badlands National Park, SD


We drove to the Badlands National Park, SD. I wasn't sure I wanted to bother with this trip since it was about a 250-mile round trip, but I am certainly glad we went. I have never seen such a landscape - it was truly unique!




We stopped at a place called Saddle Pass Trail. The sign asked "How steep is it? See for yourself on this short trail." We climbed about 400 feet in about a quarter mile. I know that's nowhere near a 45-degree slope, but it seemed like it! The view from the top, the wind and the solitude were well worth the effort. Going back down proved to be the more difficult task since the path was covered with tiny pebbles that made it very slippery.

 Sam had no problems going up or down.

 Can you spot David? He still has a ways to go.


The view from the top was amazing.








We also visited the Minuteman Missile National Historic site in Philip, SD. This missile silo was not more than a quarter of a mile from I-90! Of course, it was built before the Interstate highway, but these things were scattered all over. I hope the local farmers didn't get too curious about what was going on next door.


We finished off the day with another trip to Mount Rushmore National Memorial in Keystone, SD, and stayed late enough to see it lit up at night. It definitely has a different feel than in the daytime, but I don't know if I have a favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment