Monday, March 10, 2014, Move to Zion National Park in Springdale, UT


Time to head to Zion National Park in Springdale, UT, - we were very excited! Again, it was not a long trip, 172.3 miles (7,297.9 trip/66,779.0 total), but it seemed like a long day. We took our time and started late (10:45 - I wanted to do a load of laundry - Zion has no facilities.)

We stopped to fill the coach with diesel (thinking there would be few opportunities along backroads in Utah). After filling, I discovered something strange that I still do not understand. First, I was able to put 104 gallons of fuel in the tank and, since it is a 150-gallon tank, that should not be strange. In the past, even with the gauge on empty, I have never been able to put more than 95 gallons in. I assumed the gauge just was not accurate. This time, however, the gauge was still on 1/4 tank! It's like the gauge now works differently. More disturbing was the mileage calculation showing 5.37 mpg. That's when I started adding up the miles since the last fill-up and double checked with the map. We had driven more than 780 miles, but the odometer only registered 563.6 miles.

I don't know what to make of it all, so I just stopped thinking about it and enjoyed the beautiful scenery as we entered southern Utah.



We meet the most interesting people, and their pets, on the road. This couple was in an RV next to us filling up while Winston, the pig, was getting a chance to stretch his legs.  

Sam really wanted to meet Winston, but I decided to not risk it.

Winston was hamming it up for the camera.

The scenery had us oohing and aahing all the way to the park.


Joani was able to get reservations in the park at the Watchman campground. I set up and did my usual routine of front cap bug removal and window washing while Joani snapped a few pictures around our campsite. The scenery is truly breathtaking! So glad we have at least a week to explore this beautiful park.


This is our backyard for the next week (hopefully two weeks).





The sun was getting very low, changing the colors on Watchman mountain.

The trees are starting to leaf.  It will be fun to see how much they change in the next week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment