Thursday, March 20, 2014, Walter's Wiggles, Scout Lookout and Angels Landing in Zion National Park, UT


While still in Watchman Campground in Zion National Park, UT, it was time for us to get serious about hiking and tackle another of the "strenuous" trails. Angels Landing, via the West Rim Trail, was a 5.4 mile round trip with nearly 1,500 feet of elevation gain. A half mile from the top is Scout Lookout which was our goal.


The top of the mountain in the center of the picture is Angels Landing. We had no intention of going that far.

Can you tell I'm struggling? The steep incline doesn't give up, but I'm about to.

I decided to take it slower and sent David on ahead. I did make it to Scout Lookout, eventually.


Outside of the canyon, the trail looks like many of the others in Zion. I think there were so many people on the trail because of Spring Break (I wondered what percentage of these people reach the top.) It was a bit evil how the trail starts off with such an easy gentle slope, then gradually steepens with the switchbacks, then hits you with Walter's Wiggles before you see the impossible looking last half mile. "Walter's Wiggles" is a series of 21 tight switchbacks that climb several hundred feet very quickly.



It might have been good that Joani was not with me at Scout Lookout when I decided to continue the last half mile to the top of Angels Landing.  It did not appear to be that much of a climb until I topped the hill visible from the Lookout and found I had only covered a small fraction of the last half mile and it was the easy part of the trail.



Over the first hill, you get to see the real challenge! It was surprising just how many people made it to the top. Of course, I was seeing the ones on their way back down and there were some terrified looks on people's faces, questioning their own sanity.


Below was only one of the many places along the trail where you didn't want to fall in either direction! Fortunately, this spot had security chains on both sides (most of the time there was only one chain or no chains.)





I wondered if this little girl thought the trip was worth all of the effort. Both she and her sister were with their dad (a lot of people questioned his sanity) heading back down from the top as I was heading up. Much later, I passed them again on my way down - they were obviously taking their time and being very careful.


Since Joani was not with me, I imposed on another hiker to have some photographic evidence that I made it to the top. I was happy to sit for a few minutes, but I was feeling a bit guilty that I left Joani with the impression I was only going to the Scout Lookout. I was already at least 30 minutes later than she was expecting and I still had to go back down.



Having David's pictures of the trail (and the pictures of the barefoot little girl) made the trail look less intimidating.  We hope to do it again next week so I can try to make it all the way up.



Walters Wiggles was a workout in itself coming up, but now, going down, it did not seem so bad.


I think I can say, with no reservations, I have no interest in ever being a "mountain climber."  Clearly, the work for this girl was not over when she reached the top - she had to carry all of her gear back down. I'm guessing she had somewhere between a 40 and 60-pound load. Her climbing buddy was close behind with even more of a load.

This is a 20-something young lady (100 pounds soaking wet) making her way back down the trail after a climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment