Saturday, August 23, 2014


There was some pretty heavy rain all through the night.  Sam did not get a lot of sleep and thought it would be alright to peek over the edge of the bed and pant in my face.  That meant I didn't get a lot of sleep either.  I think at this point it would be safe to assume he will never get over his fear of rain.  Along with the rain, it was pretty cool as well, maybe into the high 40's or low 50's, but I would not have guessed just how cold it was up on the mountains surrounding us.

Snow in August!  Really?

Apparently, it was a quite a bit colder at the top of the mountain behind our coach and the rain last night created a winter wonderland.  Beautiful!

As Sam and I took our morning walk, we passed a policeman setting up orange cones around a corner.  He said the bicycle leg of a triathlon would be passing through the campground.  After the first rider passed by, I waited for 3-4 minutes before for second one and another 1 or 2 minutes before I saw the third racer.  Just as I started thinking there probably would not be very many people in a race like this, they started passing by in larger groups.  I learned from one guy who was fixing a flat tire that the number of race entries was capped at 500!  I also found out it was a "half-triathlon," so they only had to do a leisurely 56 miles on the bicycles.

David found out our campground was part of a triathlon route.

It was fun watching the big rigs dodge the cyclers.

The participants came back through the same way.  David watched some of the cyclists go the wrong way. . .

. . . and ended up helping the rest by pointing the way.  He stood there for over an hour waving them on.  The route took them down a one-way road - the wrong way!  He received many, many shouts of appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment