Sunday, August 3, 2014


It was a lazy day, but I resolved to get at least one thing done.  A broken drawer provided the right level of activity - not too much effort, but something substantial enough to give me a sense of accomplishment for the day!  Joani must have decided I work so little it needed to be chronicled for the blog.

I think it was pretty clear why these drawer guides failed.  Joani weighed the contents - a mere 29.075 pounds!  This needed some serious beefing up.  The guide was almost exactly 1.5 inches from the floor, so I cut a few pieces of scrap wood, secured them in place and, voila,  we were good to go again.  I guess a little shimming could have made it a better fit, but it was close enough.

David tried to carefully suggest we find a new home for the heavy provisions.

 He graciously accepted my refusal.

Shards of broken plastic said these glides were not meant to hold 30 lbs bouncing down the road.

On one of our walks, Sam led me down to the Gros Ventre River.  He took me along some narrow paths for about a quarter mile and I almost ran head first into a moose!  As I slowly backed away, it hit me we were on game trails not hiking trails, so it should not have been a surprise.  Of course, I had forgotten my camera.  

Back at the coach, I told Joani about the encounter and she was all for a hike along the river - this time with cameras.  As I rounded the path where I had earlier seen the moose, I was surprised by yet another moose!  Grand Teton National Park is famous for their wildlife, but the number of animals we had seen was still amazing (especially at the Gros Ventre campground).  We started snapping pictures keeping our distance and trying our best to keep from disturbing the incredibly shy moose.  Some rustling in the brush told us there was another moose close by and we moved to the water's edge.

We were clearly being watched by a young bull moose.

Very large cow moose was giving David her best come hither look.

Apparently, she didn't appreciate David's lack of interest.

When bull moose realized what was going on, he gave David the evil eye...

...followed by a raspberry.

If he saw what the cow moose did in the river, just moments earlier, he wouldn't drink that water.

I've learned that moose are in the deer family.  They shed their antlers every year, usually in the late fall, but sometimes not until early spring.

This is probably a two or three year old.  His antlers lack eye guards (small points curling toward the eyes for protection) and have minimal paddling.

A bit overexposed to try to see the details in the shadows.

Another guy came along and I could tell he was going to startle the moose, so we were ready when both of them bolted away from the shoreline. 

We really are a good distance off, standing like statues behind the tall grasses.

It must be confusing for our European visitors. There, Moose are called Elk and our Elk are called Red Deer.

This is what they are trying to run on.

Bull moose carefully maneuvered to the far side of the river, only to be harassed by two young boys.

Now I have had my high noon moose sighting, I want more...

...bigger paddles and even better lighting (will I ever be content?)

I have to say there are some pretty clueless people out there.  The guy who startled the moose then walked out onto the small island with them at the same time two boys snuck up on the moose from the other side of the river.  We couldn't watch the stupidity anymore and we had more than 200 pictures so we backed away from the scene and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment