Monday, March 30, 2015 - Little Rock, AR


At some point, we decided it might be a reasonable goal to visit all 50 state capitols.  Little Rock, AR was not a long drive from Hot Springs (maybe 40 miles), so this seemed like the opportune time to check off another.

I was struck by how small the city was.  There were not a lot of tall buildings, so the capitol building really stood out.  The designated visitor parking consisted of 12 spaces which were all taken when we arrived.  Parking along the street was all free - I love smaller towns.


Like many other Capitols, the building had a double dome at its center.  There were a few hidden passages and spiral staircases leading to the observation platform at the top of the outer dome.  We were not allowed to roam around in any of those places, so there are no cool, unique shots, but the usual shots still highlight a pretty nice looking capitol.



I suppose I sat in the same chair where the current and past Arkansas governors presided over meetings.  I guess that might have been just a little too close to number 42 for me!





After lunch, we headed back to the coach.  It was plenty early and a beautiful day, so naturally the chairs had to come out.  The sound of the babbling Gulpha creek drowned out occasionally by heavy trucks and noisy motorcycles coming down the hill alongside the campground, but for the most part, it was an extremely pleasant afternoon.


Joani and Sam thought I should join them in a little exploration of the creek.  I reluctantly left my comfy chair for a short hike.  The smooth rocks high above the water's edge gave me the impression this quiet little creek is sometimes a raging torrent after a heavy Arkansas rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment