Wednesday, March 4, 2015


This might have been a record for most continuous time in one state since we have been on the road. We entered Arizona from Colorado in early November and just now exited the state into New Mexico. What can I say other than it's a great place for snowbirds?


The sky was threatening during the entire trip - luckily, it was not a terribly long one. We stopped at the Coachlight Inn and RV Park in Las Cruces, NM, 229.8 miles (72,017.3 miles total) east on I-10. 



We saw rain in the distance all around us. It had rained earlier making the roads somewhat wet covering the coach with a nasty layer of road grime. I was just happy we did not encounter any of their "Zero Visibility" conditions.






We arrived and set-up early enough to explore a little bit of New Mexico's second largest city. Joani found the Museum of Nature & Science downtown Las Cruces on Main Street. The traffic was light and navigating the city was easy - I don't think we saw any buildings taller than three stories.

Las Cruces, NM, has a charming (although, not lively) Main Street.

 Museum of Nature & Science was another museum on our ASTC Travel Passport Program. As it turns out, it was free anyway and in a very nice part of Las Cruces.

 This "Grazer Gazer" telescope was appealing to the do-it-yourself-er in David. I loved the lawn mower base allowing it to be easily transported.

 Twin-spotted Spiney Lizard

The Collared Lizard can flee at up to 16 mph, running upright on its hind legs!

New Mexico Spadefoot Toad

The Spiny Softshell Turtle was my favorite, by far! 

Look at that face! I'm sure other turtles make fun of him...

...but his tube nose, protruding eyes, and ridiculously long neck just added personality.

Acrylic on wood panel, by Jon Cruson - 2010

A short walk down Main Street was a bookstore with an extremely large collection of used books. Joani lost me for a bit when I drifted into one room dedicated to technical subjects. There were thousands of astronomy books - too many to properly view before the store closed, so I picked out a couple quickly (like I need any more astronomy books!). Joani tolerates my addiction since she knows it could be so much worse.

What a cool bookstore! We could have spent hours perusing, but we found it 15 minutes before closing.

No comments:

Post a Comment