Saturday, May 9, 2015


Some of Joani's favorite childhood memories were of the last week of each summer spent at Camp Potawotami in Wolcottville, IN.   The facility was part of the Fort Wayne YMCA.  Joani called and arranged for us to visit the camp in-between their group engagements.  She remembered it being a pretty long drive, but it was actually only 35 miles north of Fort Wayne.

Every year the YMCA boys camp became a family camp during the last three weeks of summer.  From the age of 5 until the year before I married (1960 thru 1972) my family enjoyed the last week of summer at Camp Potawotami.


From the outside, the lodge appeared unchanged except for the colorful Adirondack chairs on the porch.  Long ago Joani did this view in watercolor and it is still one of my favorites.


The rustic log and branch rockers were missing.  The old lodge smell brought the memories flooding back.

Inside the lodge there were significant changes - it did not look the same.  There were a few other changes - the cabins were gone and the YMCA no longer supported three weeks of family camp.  I'm sure the camp experience is no longer the same fun it once was, but then is it ever, really?  

The handcrafted rustic log furniture, card tables and ping pong tables were gone.  The wall behind me was new, blocking what was once the dining hall.

Of course, Blackman Lake looked so small.

When I close my eyes, I'm in a rowboat fishing with my Dad.


I remember the camp myself after spending a week there with the Goodman family in 1977.  In a nostalgic tribute to days gone by, Joani included a few of the pictures I took on that trip.

Blackman Lake at sunset in 1977.

That's my mom sitting up in the middle.

My baby brother, Ken, at about 11 years old.

The old cabins had eight bunks, but the six of us (Joani's mom and dad, Marlene and Joe, her brothers, Ron and Ken, Joani and me) managed to fill the cabin.


There were always wet clothes drying and since we didn't spend a lot of time in there, we didn't waste a lot of time keeping it neat. 



My other little brother, Ron at about 14, in the kitchen after hours.

Oh yeah, I was cool in my flashy shirt, tinted glasses and mustache hanging with the teenagers!

Gotta love the twenty-something married guy chaperoning the teens.  Back off girls, he's mine!

14 comments:

  1. There needs to be a caption to point out Joani sitting on the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo of sunbathers on the beach--is it definitely from 1977? I could almost swear that's my dad in the white shirt, smoking his pipe. But we used to go to the family camp in the late '60s/early '70s so I don't see how it could be him. Although he did go back a time or two later just to visit...? I have fond memories of going to Camp Potawatomi with my dad and siblings--especially of swinging on the "huge" (to me, at the time) rope hanging from the big tree down by the lake; the art cabin filled with paintings; the bunkbeds in the old cabins; canoe safety lessons on the lake; and having to sing (though I recited a Bible verse instead) in the dining hall to get back one's lost item from the lost-and-found! Oh, and the amazing in-ground trampolines! The best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting to hear from you, Cheri.

      We are pretty sure this was 1977, give or take a year, by looking at the ages of my brothers (and myself). We could be guessing wrong. But, we went for one week every year starting around 1960 until 1977. I have more pictures from that long ago visit (1977) that include more of the other campers. If you are interested, I can send them in an email so you can see if you recognize anyone.

      When we visited May of 2015, I was a bit dismayed at all the changes. It was such a big part of my childhood and the memories are so dear to me. If you are interested, I also have many more pictures from that visit, too. The current staff had no idea what I was talking about when I told them about the three weeks every summer devoted to "family camp." They were nice to let us wander around the grounds and through the lodge with a camera.

      I wish I had pictures from other years, but this was the only year (1977) we took a camera.

      Thank you for commenting,

      Joani

      Delete
  3. Joani:
    Thanks for your quick response. I hadn't really thought of Camp P. for years but it was on my mind today, and I found your blog via a Google search. Then when I saw that photo, I couldn't believe how much the fellow looked like my dad looked back then. I sent it to my sister and she agrees that it sure looks like him but '77 would've been a few years later than when we all went there together. I was pretty young when we used to camp, so my memories are spotty--but they're definitely fond memories!
    I would love to see more photos, but I'm not sure how to go about that without posting my email address on here. I wonder whether I could dig up any photos of my own--it would be a long shot, but worth a look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cheri,

      I found an additional picture of the man in a white shirt with a pipe. I'm trying to figure out how to let you see it without your email. I can just edit this post and add it - and then take it down after you have seen it.

      Let me know if that is alright. If it is your dad, I will figure out how to get you the rest of the photos. (or if you just want to see some photos of the camp, I will figure it out.)

      Joani

      Delete
    2. That would be lovely! I'm glad you have another photo of the mystery man. :)
      By the way, do you remember the name of the "art cabin"? My brain can't come up with it. I think maybe one time the overseer/artist gave us special permission to come in and look in there, and I was a bit in awe of all the paintings inside. Cheri

      Delete
    3. I added the picture. I can't wait to hear from you!

      Joani

      Delete
    4. I don't remember the art cabin, but my Dad took a class they offered and I have the charcoal drawing he did of the lodge. I have a strong memory of art classes offered us kids, but they were held in the dark and somewhat dreary rooms under the lodge (walk-out basement of the lodge). I loved those classes - I still have a few of the trinkets we made.

      Joani

      Delete
  4. It's wonderful that you still have some of the things you made there as a child!
    The man in the newly posted photo is not my father, unfortunately. What a find that would've been! But it has been a real kick going down memory lane with you. I think it would be fun to look at more of your photos. I'll go ahead and give a seldom-used email address, and then I'll come back in and delete that comment after you've commented that you've recorded the address.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you received the photos. Thank you for commenting, I've enjoyed our exchange. Happy travels, Joani

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing these photos and the account of your visit. I have been looking for a long time for a photo of the interior of the Arrowhead Lodge, and was delighted to see its fine condition and the moose on the wall, which I remember fondly from the early sixties, when Ted Heine (sp) was director.

    John Bryant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, Some of the best memories of my childhood took place at Camp Potawatomi. I have a few more pictures of the lodge if you are interested. I can attach them in an email if you would like. A few of Ted also. Did you do the boys camp or the family camp? We always did the 3rd week of family camp from 1960 and into the 70's. Drop me an email at MissJoani@gmail.com if you would like the remaining pics. Safe travels, Joani

      Delete