Friday, May 30, 2014


Bye-bye Helena - Hello Glacier National Park.  Google maps showed us a route completely different from what I had envisioned.  It had us go west (Hwy 12) then north (Hwy 141, to 200, to 83, to 35, to 2).  I thought I should go north (Hwy 287, to 89) and then west (Hwy 2). Google mapped a shorter route and since I had no reason to doubt it, we followed their plan.  It was 216.8 miles of back roads (8,663.9 trip/68,145.0 total) that went surprisingly quickly.  It had three advantages over the freeway.  It was a slower pace, we rarely saw any traffic and the scenery was (I'm sure) more interesting.


The North American RV Park was about 6 miles from Glacier's west entrance which made it pretty convenient.  It was still early in the season, so there were not many people in the area yet (maybe 10% of the campsites were being used).


There were snow capped mountains and thick forest in every direction around us.  I think we were lucky with our timing - the weather could not be better!  After settling in we decided to relax for the afternoon and wait for the morning to make our first trip into the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment