Friday, June 29, 2018, Cave Point County Park, Door County, WI


We continued our exploration of Door County, WI, with a trip to Cave Point County Park. Strangely, the county park, with free admission, was surrounded by Whitefish Dunes State Park that required a park pass. We just made sure we didn't stop in the state park and everything was cool.

I found Cave Point Park to be a bit unnerving. First, there were no rails to keep you from going over the edge of cliffs 20 or 30 feet above the water. Then, if you survived the fall there were few places to safely get out of the water. A pretty stiff wind created some sizable waves making it look extremely dangerous. Finally, and most troubling of all, was realizing you were usually standing above a cave or hollow where the crashing waves made huge whumping sounds. I'm sure there was really no danger, but then you start thinking sooner or later the water will triumph over the rock and the cliff will fall. 


David and I think very differently!  I have a healthy respect for the power of nature, but my mind saw unique geology and unobscured views. I never felt uneasy.

Sam was always curious about what was over the edge, so I had to keep him on a pretty short leash. 

Sam is not a water dog, but he loved drinking Lake Michigan water.






I actually took a picture of the "rock stacker" along with the sign asking people to please not stack the rocks. Joani wouldn't let me make a citizen's arrest, so I just shook my head and resolved to move along. The cairns did have some aesthetic appeal, so of course, we had to take a few pictures before we left.




Door county seemed very similar to the area north of Traverse City in Michigan - small touristy towns, wineries, and cherry groves. The cherries were easily visible from the roads and while they looked good we found they were still a month away from being ready to pick. The grove below was next door to our campground.



No comments:

Post a Comment