Monday, June 18, 2018, Waterfalls and Lakeshores


The skies cleared after another overnight rain. Unfortunately for Sam, there was some lightning and thunder, so he didn't have a peaceful night. I covered my exposed skin with insect repellent and headed out to the falls with a tripod this time. Joani chose not to feed the bloodthirsty little demons and stayed inside. I tried lots of shutter/aperture combinations to see what I thought looked best.

I tackled the steps to the lower overlook of the Upper Tahquamenon Falls. Since it was a weekday and a rugged hike was involved I pretty much had the platform to myself.



The sign advertised 116 steps on the trail. I knew there had to be more, so I counted on the way back up. The 116 was correct to the lowest point, but then there were another 75 steps up and down on the trail along the river's edge.

At the falls brink overlook, a long exposure softened the water flow to give a nice impression of motion. The shot below was my favorite of more than 150 pictures.


The water is amber/brown in color (but very clear) from the abundance of tannins leached from the cedar swamps which the river drains.

I made one final stop at the Lower Tahquamenon Falls before returning to the coach. I think the rains increased the flow a bit and the fisherman in the foreground added a nice bit of interest.


The next morning, our last at Tahquamenon Falls before moving, we returned to Whitefish Point to do some more rock hunting. As you can see below the point had a nice selection of Lake Superior nuggets to pick through. 

The rocks are so vibrantly colored, but only when wet.

On the way back to the coach, we passed a fish place in Paradise, MI. Joani found it had excellent reviews - we had limited internet access on the road - so we decided to give it a try. Our waitress said the fish was so fresh it had been swimming only a few hours before it hit our plates. It certainly was tasty!

Brown Fisheries Fish House - try the smoked whitefish chowder.

No comments:

Post a Comment