Sunday, June 24, 2018, Kitch-iti-kipi Springs


We invited our new friends, Bill and Darlene, along on a day trip to Big Spring near Manistique on the north shore of Lake Michigan. The drive was longer than I had expected because Google maps routed us on the "paved" roads. I was not paying attention when I looked at the map earlier.

We had planned on stopping for lunch somewhere along the way. Joani found a highly rated bar/restaurant in the middle of nowhere - seriously there was nothing but trees for miles and then suddenly a clearing where the Jack Pine Lodge stood. The ratings did not steer us wrong - the food was very good.

After eating too much we headed for the Big Spring in Palms Book State Park also known as Kitch-iti-kipi. I remember thinking that there could have been a few more signs to reassure me we were on the right track. Joani managed to keep me on course and when we reached the park there were plenty of people who had made the same trip.


The springs were the kind of blue that makes you say "Wow!"



The water is deceptively clear. It is 40 feet to the floor of the spring where 10,000 gallons per minute flow from fissures in the limestone and sand bottom.




Operation of the raft is completely manual and depends on volunteers to move the raft away from and back to the dock.



Bill took a turn at the wheel and when he handed it off to me I quickly realized it was a lot more work than watching the fish swimming around - I graciously allowed someone to take their turn and I returned to being a tourist.




We are guessing that the Perch were about 24" long.

Along the trail from the spring, I had to take a few "artsy" flora shots. I don't know why I find the birch bark so fascinating.


No comments:

Post a Comment