Saturday, June 8, 2019, Benson Sculpture Garden, Loveland, CO


Joani found an art museum in Loveland that gave us a good reason to explore the downtown area.  This town certainly supports the arts. Everywhere you looked there was a statue or abstract or mural. 



 "Elemental Discovery" by Sheldon James, Acrylic Paint, 2009

 This was standing outside the Loveland Art Museum, but its plaque was missing.

The Loveland Art Museum main exhibit hall was actually closed in preparation for a Chuck Close exhibit (one of Joani's favorites). Sadly, it was not due to open before we had to leave. Another wing of the building housed some history of the city that we wandered through instead. Beets and beet sugar started the town and were responsible for its growth until the '70s. 


This room was made for a map guy like David.


The town's love of art was on display in the Benson Sculpture Garden, a huge 10-acre park wrapped around Loveland Lake. Easily one of the largest outdoor displays of art, 164 pieces, we have visited and such a variety of styles.

Loveland, Colorado, by Jack Kreutzer

Protecting My Chicks, by Dominic Benhura, opal stone, 2006

Shelter Cove, by Mary Regat, bronze, 2001

I noticed a couple walking their dog while each stared at their smartphones. I thought it was sad that they were so engrossed in their phones and never gave the art a thought. We rounded a corner and counted 15 people all looking at their phones. I couldn't stand it any longer and finally asked someone what was happening. It turned out the city has a Pokemon day one day each month and today was the day. Throughout the park, there were hundreds of people wandering around glued to their phones.


Young and somewhat old were thoroughly engrossed?!

At one point I wondered if I should get my phone out so we would look like we fit in but nobody paid any attention to a couple of tourists taking pictures of statues. Below are a few of our favorites but believe me this is just a small sampling of what the park had on display.

Rainforest Dream, by Leo Osborne, bronze, 2012

Swirl, by Thomas Woodward, Bronze, year?

Circle of Peace, by Gary Lee Price, bronze, year?

Horizon Interrupted, by Arlie & Dave Regier, stainless steel, 2005

Me snapping a pic of David snapping a pic of me.

The shiny details caught my eye.

 Seed Pod Cairn, by Tom Herzog, Sandstone, 2014

The Cairn inside the Seed Pod.

Red and Blue Pony, by Kevin Box, bronze, 2007

Pause For Reflection, by Laurel Peterson Gregory, bronze, 2013

Duet, Jeff K. Laing, stainless steel, 2009
(Long shot courtesy of David)

I enjoyed the light play Duet could achieve.

I think stainless steel might be my favorite subject.

Breeze, by Blair Buswell, bronze, 2003

Old Friends, by George Lundeen, bronze, 2015

Gorilla, by Sherry Sander, bronze, 1989

Amore, by Kim Kori, bronze, 2017
I could not believe it when I rounded the corner and saw this old friend. We were visiting Tlaquepaque in Sedona, AZ, when I saw this frog in the Rowe Gallery. When we returned ten days later it had sold. I now know who bought it! I wonder if the Loveland High Plains Arts Council received a discount ($37,500)

A Friend Indeed, by Dan Ostermiller, bronze, 1985

This little guy ran out from under the bunny statue (a friend, I'm sure) just as I stepped up to take a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment