Tuesday, October 1, 2013, "Avenue of the Giants," Myers Flat, CA


Humboldt Redwoods State Park turned out to be a very nice surprise. There was a road winding through the park for 31 miles named the "Avenue of the Giants." Markers for different groves lined each side of the road.  


Each grove was named for the owner who donated or sold their land to the park. There was an extremely interesting visitor's center.





1964 flood level!!!

One of the nicest stops was Founder's Grove. Joani liked the group of vintage sports cars parked there. They reminded me of a time long ago when I actually fit in my 1964 MG Midget. Best not to dwell on things like that.

 Little boy's toy...

 ...big boy's toys!

I had the camera on the tripod and I set the timer for a self-portrait. What I forgot was that with the low light and an f/22 setting, the shutter speed was about 2 seconds. As soon as we heard the click we started moving, so we became ghostly blurs in the picture. I only realized what was happening when I got back to the camera and heard the shutter close. Still, an interesting effect.

Oops!


Redwood roots grow only a few feet deep (no tap root), but they can grow a hundred or more feet laterally.

This tree used to be the tallest tree until it fell in 1991 (probably 1600 years old). Now they call it the longest tree at 370 feet. (I'm standing in the middle of the expanse.)

I see two faces in this burl. One profile and one a little more subtle with a beard.

 Taken from inside a burned, but alive, tree (below). I see a howling wolf.


 I used the flash to see what our eye could not, inside this fire ravaged tree.




 Even this one is still alive and growing.


There is just no way to capture the scale and magnificence of these trees in a picture. They must be experienced in person. These pictures will just serve to remind us of our time here.


It was a pretty drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment