Tuesday, April 8, 2014, Kanarra Falls Hike out of Kanarraville, UT


It finally warmed up enough to tackle the Kanarra Falls hike out of Kanarraville, UT. Our buddy at Dickey's BBQ told us it was one of Utah's hidden gems and few people knew about it. Gail, the owner of the Red Ledge RV Park, told us there are four falls, but she had never been past the second. This promised to be an exciting hike if the snowmelt feeding the stream was not too cold. No driving was required since Kanarra Falls parking is only three blocks from our campsite.

The trail started out along an old access road, but it soon forded the stream. A short distance further it crossed again. Then it just followed the stream for a hundred yards with no other option, so I pulled on some water shoes while Joani wore a pair of galoshes. The water was cold, but after a few minutes I couldn't feel my toes anymore, so it was fine.


The color of this boulder made us do a double take. The magenta rock was speckled with many colorful lichens.


Another boulder that had an amazing spectrum of colors.


David used his tripod to take a 1/3 second exposure of this cascade.

The line on the canyon wall tells me the water isn't always ankle deep.

This was such a beautiful slot canyon.

Looking straight up

The waterfall was just around the corner. No way to avoid walking in the water at this point.

The first waterfall next to the only means to reach the second waterfall.

David did a 4 second exposure...my favorite shot of the day.

The second waterfall didn't have a handy ladder to help reach the top, but it was already after 3 and a good point to turn around and head home.

Taken from the top of the waterfall before heading back down the ladder.



I'm wearing some galoshes, trying to keep my shoes dry. They worked great.



Just after this picture, I took the galoshes off. David was helping me cross the steam, but I slipped into the stream and soaked my shoes anyway. It wasn't that bad.




Almost back to Kanarraville, a very welcome sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment