Thursday, September 8, 2016


Joani and Katie really want Sam and Gray Man to be besties.  The only problem is Sam has always thought cats deserve his best growling and barking.  I'm afraid, with his attitude, if he ever got close enough to a cat he would probably get his nose sliced to ribbons.  Can you see what he's thinking?  "Why can't I go get me some of the cat?"


Gray Man, on the other hand, is pretty indifferent, but still seems to wonder "why is this thing in my house?"


Some dogs and cats get along pretty well, but I don't know if Sam will ever come around.  We separated them into their respective motorhomes and headed to the North Lincoln County Historical Museum.  Joani liked the personal stories told throughout the museum.


The museum was filled with personal accounts of what it was like for early settlers.

They had quite a collection of glass floats.  These were made to support fishing nets and many have drifted across the entire Pacific from Japan.  Sometimes the fisherman has his name on the float.




I was quite amazed to learn the average Albatross will fly 15 million miles in its lifetime.  There was no explanation as to how this number was determined, but even if they were off by a factor of ten it would still be an impressive distance.


It stings a little bit when museums start to have things you used when you were young.  The garage I worked in as a teenager had a diagnostic machine that looked almost like this one.


I also had a collection of 8 track tapes - I did not know they were museum-worthy already!


A lot of the early development along the coast was about tourism and, of course, camping.  The museum had a few exhibits to give the feel of camping 80 years ago.  I sure am happy today's camping bears so little resemblance to those days. 



I would be happy to find a Japanese glass float on the beach, but one of these old mines, not so much!

During one week in 1947, six Japanese mines drifted onto Oregon's coast.

Just for the record, there was a step stool next to the saddle and we were encouraged to interact with the displays in the room below.

No comments:

Post a Comment