Saturday, July 27, 2013, Boise, ID


Saturday we headed downtown for the farmers market.  Boise, ID, closes several blocks and people set up to sell their wares.  Only a little of it was fresh produce from local farms. There were a lot of booths selling crafts and art as well.  We got there as the market was opening and there was quite a crowd - an hour later the streets were positively jammed.

 That's discrimination! (Sam stayed home)

 Does anyone remember Pinkerton?

I think there should be a "Pinkerton goes to Market" by Steven Kellogg.


 I just liked the name.

 I squealed a little when I saw this banner.

 This little Batman was the epitome of happiness!

 The tiny dancer on the left was very light on her feet.


That baby is so ugly it's cute!!!

 David was mesmerized by this crane working overhead.

I was mesmerized by this 1929 Art Deco building.


  . . . and the tree on the street in front of it.

 The sky looks threatening, but it made for a very pleasant day.

It is an easy walk to almost anything downtown - we headed a few blocks over to the capital building.  We had no plans and no expectations for exploring the capital, but we found the building was open so we took in all five floors!  It was a very nice building that was well maintained and clean.  It only showed its age in a few places.  The gardens around the building were beautiful.  We almost had the place to ourselves - the locals at the farmer's market had already seen it all before. 


  
 Can you see David on the fourth floor?





The basement had an amazing mosaic in the center.

Chief Twisted Hair was giving Lewis and Clark some bad information - good thing I was there to straighten them all out!


On the way back to the car we happened by "Freak Alley" which seemed to be sanctioned graffiti.  I think "freak," says it pretty well.  It was . . . colorful.

I loved this idea!!!  My photos only represent a third of the offerings.





Back at the coach, we sat outside for an hour or so listening to the Boise Music Festival (happening within earshot at the fairgrounds adjacent to the RV park).  I have to say I did not recognize any of the music.  We hoped it sounded better closer to the stage, but I suspect it only sounded louder (I really am getting old!)  One of our neighbors passed by and said: "I don't know about you, but I hope they play that last number again - the lyrics were inspirational."  It could have been sarcasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment