Wednesday, July 31, 2013, McNary Dam on the Columbia River, Hermiston, OR


Less than a half mile from the campground (Pioneer RV, Hermiston, OR) was a nice little park by the river with a one-mile walking track. Every so often they had an exercise station for working some muscle group. This one wore me out in less than a minute, so I skipped the rest of them. Sam and I did two laps around the park, so we still got a good workout.




We drove by McNary Dam. This backs up the Columbia River to create Lake Wallula. I thought it was interesting that there was a large sign saying "Visitors Welcome," so we stopped. I thought we would see the power generators, but the only thing they showed us was the ladder system that lets fish swim upstream. It seemed to be extremely complex (and likely very costly), but I think the salmon are worth it.





Mystery solved!  It's Russian Olive and apparently, it's a nuisance.


Next, we visited Hat Rock State Park. I guess the picture makes it clear how the park got its name. This rock along the Columbia River was mentioned in Lewis & Clark's journal as they made their way to the Pacific Ocean in 1805.  

Have they seen Devils Tower?



We happened upon a lot of wildlife, considering it was mid-day and pretty warm.  We probably would have seen more if we sat quietly for a while.

These were babies.  The momma new to take off at the first sight of us.  



More babies. You would think it was spring.


This fellow (New World Quail) was after some tail.


There was a small neighborhood named Hat Rock next to the park. The only way into the neighborhood was through the park. I don't know how big of a problem they have with speeders, but I think we might have been going 21 mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment